View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
NordJitsu
Council Member
Psijjic Monk

re: Picking a Campaign

As we get closer and closer to launch, I think we should start thinking about picking a campaign.

A complete list of launch campaigns isn't available yet and we don't know what special rulesets will be offered, much less which will be assigned to what campaign.

That said, I think we can talk about these things in general terms.

As a guild we've spoken about trying to get into a competitive campaign where there are strong enemies on the other side to fight us. I think that's an important component to us having fun and not just rolling over people.

I think its also important for our Home campaign to be a "serious" or "normal" rule set campaign. Meaning, possible gimmicks like "First Person Only" or "Rubble Keeps" are a no-go. People are welcome to guest in these gimmick campaigns for fun though and I'll probably do a bit of that myself. But its important for our main campaign that we are all in together to be a bit more standard.

Lastly, myself, Haz, Obscure, and Alandauron have been toying with the idea of joining an "add-on free" campaign. For some of us, an even playing field is important to preserve the competition aspect of PvP. Add-ons by definition set people apart from each other or become an "arms race" where everyone needs to stay up to date on the latest add-ons. The base UI ensures that everything is fair and that players have to fight using skill and timing, rather than reacting to their UI. It is our belief that this mode is actually quite a bit more "hardcore" than the add-on version which makes playing the game easier. 

That said, I don't want to force people into playing a way they don't want to play. If anyone has a compelling argument against the idea of joining an add-on free campaign, please share. It is my belief that decisions like this should be as democratic as possible, even if the Councilors have the ultimate say.

Last edited by NordJitsu on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Grasp fortune by the forelocks. When you see your chances, seize them. When you see a chance to turn a profit, take it. But do not follow money blindly. There is value in reputation, more than many young Hlaalu realize. This value must be carefully balanced against the more tangible coins in any deal. Theft and murder are bad for business. You can steal from someone, but will he trade with you after that? You can’t bargain with a dead man. There are many ways to do business.– GRASPING FORTUNE
Mongoose
Retainer
Scholar

I have read a few posts about different rule sets but was unaware that ZOS was implementing them. 

I am perfectly fine with a no addon campaign .

SlayerSyrena
Oathman
Scholar

This all sounds good to me, although, to be honest, I don't know much about add-ons. (I believe I saw some AD using them in some of their PVP footage, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on those ...)

Falauren
Council Member
Psijjic Monk

This sounds like a good idea to me. As much as i love FTC, i still remember how annoying it was with "must-have" addons in wow, and i could do without that in ESO

Psijjic Monk

Its far from 100% yet. I'm kinda floating the idea to see how everyone feels about it.

But a lot of it hinges on how much the restrict the API. If they put some decent restrictions on it, we might no need to go "no addons" which would enable us to play with Entropy Rising and Mostly Harmless (since they'll be using add ons) and also let us change our UI cosmetically how we like.

Grasp fortune by the forelocks. When you see your chances, seize them. When you see a chance to turn a profit, take it. But do not follow money blindly. There is value in reputation, more than many young Hlaalu realize. This value must be carefully balanced against the more tangible coins in any deal. Theft and murder are bad for business. You can steal from someone, but will he trade with you after that? You can’t bargain with a dead man. There are many ways to do business.– GRASPING FORTUNE
MaeveAlleine
Oathman
Scholar

i wanted to play with add-ons. however, that can always be done in pve and with other characters. maybe a poll for members to vote on?

Last edited by MaeveAlleine on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Council Member
Psijjic Monk

MaeveAlleine wrote:

i wanted to play with add-ons. however, that can always be done in pve and with other characters. maybe a poll for members to vote on?

Bit premature. Its going to depend on what the restrictions are.

Uzzgrock
Retainer
Blind One

If this is the disicion of the guild I am cool with it.

I would've liked some add-ons though, not the game changing ones, but like DPS meter, and horse skins.

Like Nord said this isn't a final decision, we bring it up now to get an idea of what the guild as a whole wants.

Many of us that play together have talked about a no addon campaign simply because of what we consider "more challenging".  Others have referred to this as guesswork and what-not, but the feeling of realism and the added uncertainty makes me feel like I'm being challenged.

When the API restrictions have been put to words and not just here-say then we can possibly consider putting up a poll, though we're hoping to get an idea of what everyone wants in here.

Don't be afraid to say you want addons, even Nord and myself(probably one of the biggest anti-addons guiy) have commented on the benefits they can present.

I have no preferences when it comes to campaign. I go where the guild goes.

NordJitsu
Council Member
Psijjic Monk

Uzzgrock wrote:

If this is the disicion of the guild I am cool with it.

I would've liked some add-ons though, not the game changing ones, but like DPS meter, and horse skins.

Horse Skins aren't possible. The add-ons only affect the game's UI.

And we're patiently awaiting word from Paul Sage before we decide if this is needed.

We're also patiently awaiting confirmation that no-addon campaigns will even exist. :)

HoboXL
Retainer
Blind One

I plan on committing to a campaign on Day 1 of the early release so as much heads up as possible would be greatly appreciated :D

PS I'm rolling a Night Blade so feel free to tack me onto the stealthy PVP list.

Vehk Hlaalu
Council Member
Professor

HoboXL wrote:

PS I'm rolling a Night Blade so feel free to tack me onto the stealthy PVP list.

Okay, I put you in the Scouts roster, is that cool with you?

NordJitsu
Council Member
Psijjic Monk

HoboXL wrote:

I plan on committing to a campaign on Day 1 of the early release so as much heads up as possible would be greatly appreciated :D

We'll figure it out as soon as ZOS figures it out.

ChaseSimpson9
Retainer
Blind One

I didn't really get the full idea of a separate Add-on Campaign? If it means that we should play without addons in pvp then wouldn't that put us 1 step behind the next guy?

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great House Hlaalu Forum Index -> PvP All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: